Wednesday, October 20, 2010

And we worshipped….

Last Saturday, I had to great honor to stretch out of my comfort box. Saturday was the Gracie’s Hope and Heart run. I heard about it through Brooke and her family months ago…and knew immediately that this was something that I wanted to be apart of. Not only because the Davis family is family to me (Brooke and Wendy= college roomies/ best friends) and I wanted to support them, but also because this run was to raise awareness and money towards infancy death. Let me take you back, a few Sept’s ago, Grae Davis Kelly was born sleeping into Heaven. He was full term, yet God decided to keep him. A very sad day on so many levels…. Something that so many people are still grieving to this day.

So, CKC and I went to Paducah, KY and supported the Davis Family. I still remember Grae's birthday so vividly and I was quite emotional in the weeks leading up to this event. The pain in my heart is still very fresh. I don’t know if God allowed me to take the heartache from Brooke/Scotty/Herm/etc…and cry for them…tears that maybe they couldn’t find… or what…but my heart was sad when thinking about baby Grae recently.

The event itself was incredibly emotional. Neat- because unlike other races, this one was a community united in pain and hope....not just there to get in good shape or get a good workout. Love- because the out pour of support from people all over…could fill an empty heart instantly. Sad- to see how many families in just one area were already affected by infant deaths. Hope- to know that God has a purpose and a plan and can really deliver people out of deep darkness.

Running the 5k was the easy part…. With every step, although out of my comfortable breath, I felt energized and strong and thankful that I even had breath...and legs...and arms...and, really, life! It was an honor to run on Team Grae Davis.

Towards the end of the Event, we sang a few worship songs and really just remembered. Each participant had a balloon (100% bio-degradable) in honor of a baby and when the baby’s name was read aloud, we released the balloon. You know, it was kind of symbolic to release the balloon… and release some of the grief that trauma brings. What was really interesting was that CKC was still when Grae's name was read. She is never still... but she honestly stood still and looked up for a good 2 minutes. I think she could sense that momma and her friends had sad hearts and just knew to be respectful and still.

I remember in the midst of Grae’s death, what an example Brooke and Scotty and Family were...in the very center of their sorrow, they still praised God. Maybe not with smiles and leaps in the air, but with their actions and words, they made it known that God was way bigger than their deep sadness. Even my very worst day can’t even come close to their’s…as I can’t imagine losing my baby. I am grateful for the example they live and am incredibly blessed by the Davis Family friendship.

At church, we have started a series on Job- Learning to Ride out the Storm. Job suffered more than I care to remember… yet he kept God as his priority. Job was taken out of his personal comfort.. yet he made the choice to continue to follow God.

From Job’s real life example to Brooke’s real life example, we serve a real God.
Ron said something on Sunday that has helped shaped my thoughts/attitude this week. ‘Rick Warren used to think that life was about ups and downs. However, then he realized that life could be compared to a train on a railroad. There is good and bad on the whole path…to the left and right… and it’s up to you what you choose to concentrate on.' Good point….

So we worshipped. I hope that even in my worst, that I will have the desire to still be in tune with God.

I’ll post pictures when I get them! PS. This was the first 5k that I won… not just win my age division… but be the 1st female to cross the finish line. Knowing who I was running for... made this victory even more special=)

No comments: