This is ‘Brooksie.’ MRC and I were running on Sat am…and a pit bull started to run with us. Trying to think good thoughts as the pit bull ran beside me (not wanting her to smell fear)…the dog got so close that she licked my leg. Wheew. Escaped that one! The doggie proceed to run with us…which scared me bc I was afraid that she was going to get hit by a car. (we were on a curvy road). So we started to walk the dog back to its house. As I was walking back to the pit bulls house, the lady of the house came out and was yelling at the dog. I was trying to keep her calm so that she wouldn’t be upset at the dog…I didn’t want her to beat the dog. She had that ‘I’m going to beat you’ tone in her voice. Scary. The lady then asked me to take the dog down to the pen and chain the dog back up. I looked down and noticed an even bigger pit bull. Scary. Just as I was telling her that she could take her dog down, a little chawawa came bouncing out of the house.Within a split second, the pit bull whipped her head around and grabbed the chawawa at the throat and started thrashing her. The little doggie was crying and yelping. It was horrific. I was watching a nightmare unfold before my eyes. MRC and I were both crying and screaming bloody murder. Finally the man of the house (an older man) came out and grabbed a log/stick and started to somewhat hit the pit bull…with hardly any force. Not sure if he was just weak or just didn’t care. I grabbed a tomato plant holder thing and started to forcefully poke the pit bull. That didn’t phase her so I pulled behind her neck and yanked a few times. Mean while the pitt bull still had her teeth sunk deeply into the chiwawa. Wasn’t letting up at all. Finally the pit bull gave up and wasn’t biting the C but was hovering around her. MRC and I pulled the shocked/bloody/scared/half-dead C from the pit bull and ran. We ran a little less than a half-mile to my neighbors house...who is a vet. She called the ER at the vet and we rushed the C there.
So very scary. I went on such an emotional roller coaster ride for the last several days. Crying and angry most of the days. Angry that someone could let that happen and not do anything about it. Had we not been there the dog would have died within the hour…1) of the deep bite marks and 2) of so much bleeding and 3) of shock.
So- good news: the doggie is ok. She had emergency major surgery. He had to open up each bite mark and reconstruct the tissue. The little doggie went through a ton on Saturday.
We brought her home and nursed her for a few days. Now MRC has Brooksie. She is a precious dog. Great temperament. Loves Molly (and Bo…MRC’s dog). Loves CKC. Loves to play. Loves to run. Loves to cuddle. Loves to be held. Loves to kiss. And is very content just to sit. It’s remarkable. She’s not yippy. She smiles when she looks at you. She turns her head when you ask a question and looks right into your eyes/heart. Just a precious dog indeed.
Heartbreaking to think this dog was almost dead, as just in a few days worth of time, she has brought so much joy to all of us.
We actively pursued finding Brooksie a quality home. And by quality: we were looking for someone that will treat her like a princess…so that she will never have to live like she did. (Came from a horrible environment…flee infested...dirty...wasn’t fed properly...etc.) In addition to the surgery, she now has a rabi shot/flee shot/worm shot. From best the doc can tell, she’s about 1 yrs old. He said that he could tell that this dog desires to live. And after the great days we’ve had, I know that’s the truth. A precious friend, indeed. Although Scott and I are very attached to our new friend, we know that we can’t keep her. We did find a new ‘mom and dad’ for Brooksie…she will be going to her new home soon. It’s happy and sad news all rolled together. But I know that she is going to a home that will love her like a child and will treasure the gift she is.
God allowed MRC and I to help in a miracle. To save this little dog’s live from the hell she was in. God had mercy on us as we rescued and mercy on the doggie as she went through so much trauma.
Brooksie got her name bc both of us were wearing our Brooks running shoes when we saved her=)



No comments:
Post a Comment